[mpm-itk] mpm-itk & CGI wrapper or FCGId

Will Lightning kassah at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 07:59:27 CET 2010

On Tue, 2010-01-05 at 19:21 -0600, Alex Tordi wrote:
> someone uses itk and FCGId or CGI wrapper.
> the standart is mod_php
> which will be better, and faster
> any comments thanks!

Alex,
As principle holds, mod_php would be faster. However, I don't know of
any metrics out there on it. Plus, it's extremely hard to take metrics
like that. Also, I don't have a complete understanding of FastCGI, so
I'll compare CGI for you. As with anything, it isn't a black and white
decision, you need to evaluate your setup and it's needs.

Reasoning behind my principle:
- mod_php in prefork works almost the exact same way as cgi
   Setup in advance, and be ready when the request comes in.
- fcgi sets up php at request.

Benifits of CGI PHP (I'm not 100% familiar with FCGI):
- If you have very few PHP scripts on the server, FCGI will use less
memory and processes, because static requests don't have PHP loaded.
- Easier to configure special extensions per domain/dir/etc.

Benifits of mod_php:
- Speed, Preloaded PHP, allows all startup to be done in advance of the
request.
- More compatability with pre-made applications. CGI PHP is missing some
functions. It is very rare to run into this, but it does happen.

I hope this feedback is helpful.

Thanks,
William Lightning