[mpm-itk] mpm-itk restart problem

Jure Merhar jure at merhar.si
Mon Jun 6 09:52:46 CEST 2011

Hi,

I'm trying to use apache2-mpm-itk on a new ispconfig 3 installation. I
mostly followed the instructions in The Perfect Server - Ubuntu 10.04
[ISPConfig 3]<http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-ubuntu-10.04-lucid-lynx-ispconfig-3-p4>
article,
with some changes: I didn't install apache2-mpm-prefork, apache2-suexec and
libapache2-mod-suphp, and instead installed apache2-mpm-itk. I then changed
SuexecUserGroup to AssignUserId in ispconfig.vhost and apps.vhost.
Furthermore, I copied all the prefork settings in apache2.conf to <IfModule
mpm_itk_module>[...]</IfModule>.

Now, the itk module seems to be working fine - i.e. the scripts run as the
correct user. However, apache now produces an error when I try to restart
it:

Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80

It seems that the init script is unable to terminate any of the apache
processes running under the webX users. When I run 'service apache2 stop',
all the root and www-data owned apache processes stop, but the webX owned
ones remain. If I then kill them with 'killall -9 apache2', I can start
apache again.

This happens every time I had previously opened any site on the server, even
ispconfig. If I don't open any site after starting apache, it restarts fine,
since there is no webX owned apache process running.

Did I mess something up in the configuration? What could be the cause of
this problem?

Best regards,,
Jure Merhar