[mpm-itk] problem with authentication (AuthType Basic...)

Knut Auvor Grythe knut at auvor.no
Fri Mar 29 08:30:51 CET 2013

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 08:25:16AM +0100, Patrick Proniewski wrote:
> Unfortunately, not possible. It would need a major reengineering of this hosting and related services (dns...). Many web sites are also dependent on their domain name / base URL (badly coded CMS), and would need reconfiguration to work properly.
>
> Do you have any explanation why would a call to mod_auth* in a directory trigger a call to the root level of parent virtual host?

I'm having a bit of trouble following your explanation, but a possible
cause for permission trouble like this is attempts to access the
.htaccess file in the parent directory. To remedy this, you can either
make sure the .htaccess file is world readable, or set AllowOverride
none on / and only set AllowOverride on each subdir. With AllowOverride
none, apache will not try to open a .htaccess file at all.

--
Knut Auvor