[mpm-itk] mpm-itk and mod_userdir on Apache 2.4 (Debian 9)

Patrick Proniewski patpro at patpro.net
Fri May 17 18:20:30 UTC 2019

Hello

I'm using a comparable setup (on FreeBSD).
You are right about the default UID, it's root but you don't have anything to do about that (don't change User and Group directives in httpd.conf).

And you'll probably have to setup a config for every user who will publish web pages (it's what I've done).
I've a script to provision user accounts, this script grant student access (/etc/group), create DB, and create an apache config file (one per user):

modules.d/999_itk_php_<LOGIN>.conf

with content like this:

<Directory /user/<LOGIN>/public_html>
        AssignUserID <LOGIN> <GID>
</Directory>

Be sure to setup text-only error messages. Don't use:

ErrorDocument 400 /error/HTTP_BAD_REQUEST.html.var
ErrorDocument 401 /error/HTTP_UNAUTHORIZED.html.var
ErrorDocument 403 /error/HTTP_FORBIDDEN.html.var

but use:

ErrorDocument 404 "404 file not found"
ErrorDocument 400 "400 HTTP_BAD_REQUEST"
ErrorDocument 401 "401 HTTP_UNAUTHORIZED"

(full explanation: <https://www.patpro.net/blog/index.php/2013/03/30/2442-track-mpm-itk-problems-with-truss/> )

patpro